Dental emergencies can be sudden and scary. If you or a loved one is experiencing a severe injury or considerable pain, stay calm and don’t hesitate to contact our office. Dr. Darren Koch and his skilled team provide useful information and support over the phone, and we do everything in our power to see emergency cases as soon as possible so that patients have the relief they need.
So what exactly counts as a dental emergency? Here are some of the most common scenarios our team would identify as urgent:
- Cracked/fractured tooth
- Partially dislodged tooth
- Knocked-out tooth
- Painful toothache
- Lost crown/filling
- Oral bleeding
- Jaw injury
While not all dental emergencies can be avoided, there are some tips patients can follow to decrease their chances of experiencing one. These include:
- Always use scissors when attempting to open packaging of any kind, not your teeth.
- Exercise caution when eating foods that are particularly sticky, chewy, or hard.
- Don’t chew the ice in your drink.
- Always wear a sportsguard when participating in sports that involves contact of any kind.
- Attend routine check-ups and cleanings every six months. With the help of these vital appointments, Dr. Koch and his associates can locate and treat minor issues before they have the chance to develop into emergencies.
Fear of the dentist is a common thing, which is why our Cary, NC staff works so hard to help patients feel comfortable and at home throughout their visits. However, we understand that sometimes, a little extra help is needed, and that’s where sedation dentistry comes in. Our team will provide you with a prescription for a sedative that you’ll take one hour prior to your appointment. Once the effects take hold, patients remain conscious, but they’ll feel much more relaxed overall allowing us to provide necessary care. Patients undergoing oral sedation need a trusted friend or family member to escort them both to and from our office for safety reasons.
Our Cary, NC practice is always open to patients from Raleigh and surrounding areas. Contact us today for assistance, or if you have questions our team can help you with.