There’s a myth that once you reach a certain age, you can no longer get dental implants. It’s hard to say where this belief came from, but it’s become surprisingly widespread. Unfortunately, some of the people who’ve bought into it the strongest are those who could most benefit from permanent tooth-replacement solutions. If you’ve ever considered dental implants, here’s why you shouldn’t let age stop you.
Why There’s No Such Thing as “Too Old”
There isn’t any connection at all between age and the success of your dental implants. Studies that have compared the rate of failure between seniors and other adults found no difference between the two groups. Moreover, dental implants boast a 95% success rate, so if you’re interested in the procedure, you’re likely to get great results.
Remember, You’re Worth the Upgrade
Some people who have dentures might think that dental implants aren’t worth the trouble, but that simply isn’t true. Dental implants can make a huge difference in your life, even compared to other tooth replacement options. Here are a few reasons to consider the upgrade:
- Dental implants make your prosthetics more secure in your mouth, so eating is easier.
- Your gums won’t have to take the full force of every bite you take, meaning an end to sore spots.
- If your jawbone isn’t supporting anything, it will naturally start to wither. Putting a dental implant in the place of a missing tooth can stop bone loss.
How to Keep Your Dental Implants (and Smile!) in Pristine Condition
The good news is that dental implants have an incredibly high success rate, which is one of the many reasons 500,000 patients opt for them each year! Of course, they aren’t completely indestructible, which is why it’s important to implement a solid preventive care routine. That includes:
- Visiting your dentist every six months for a checkup and cleaning (even if you don’t have any of your natural teeth left).
- Brushing for two full minutes twice a day.
- Flossing and rinsing with mouthwash consistently.
- Limiting your intake of sugary, hard, crunchy, and sticky foods.
- Quitting unhealthy dental habits, like smoking and chewing on ice.
The truth is, just about anyone can have success with a dental implant. No matter your age, it’s worth it to have a full smile that you can be proud of.
About the Author
Dr. Darren Koch is a dentist with over 17 years of experience in his field. The combination of science, psychology, and art that dentistry involves still ignites a passion in him after all this time. That passion is what motivates him to provide his patients with their ideal smiles. Dr. Koch earned his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from The University at Buffalo and is a proud member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. If you have any questions about receiving dental implants, Dr. Koch can be reached at his website or by phone at (919) 859-6633.