TREATMENT CONSIDERATIONS FOR TMD PATIENTS
Please follow the recommendations shown below to help us perform your dental treatment while preventing any worsening of your past or present TemporoMandibular Joint Disorder (TMD).
BEFORE AND AFTER YOUR APPOINTMENT
- Skelaxin (muscle relaxant drug) and Ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory drug):
- Take 400 mg of each medication 3 times per day for 2 days before and 4 days after dental appointment.
- Ensure that you are effectively managing stress and anxiety with:
- Cardiovascular exercise 3 - 5 times per week.
- Biofeedback techniques such as muscle relaxation, corrected breathing, stretching exercises, etc.
- Proper amount and quality of sleep.
- Wear your “nightguard” every night before and after your appointment.
- Eliminate or dramatically reduce stimulants such as sugar, nicotine, caffeine, or social drugs.
ABOUT YOUR APPOINTMENTS:
- All “open-mouth” procedures (except dental emergencies) should be avoided while pain management is ongoing, active, or in progress.
- We will accomplish your treatment with numerous appointments of short duration in an effort to limit the time that you must keep your mouth open. A “mouth prop” (i.e. bite block) will be used to help rest your jaw and prevent muscle fatigue.
- You will be allowed to close your mouth frequently during your appointment and are encouraged to request breaks whenever you need them. Three rest periods are typically provided per hour of appointment time.
- Move your jaw around slowly and cautiously to re-lubricate the joint as needed.
- Your nightguard may need adjustment to accommodate your new temporary or permanent restoration. Please bring it with you to all appointments so that we can verify its fit during the course of treatment.
AFTER YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- Use warm moist compresses to painful side for 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off for 3 days after dental appointment. Be sure to use heat on the inside muscle by using hot decaffeinated tea or coffee and lay head back toward the side of the muscle pain.
- Maintain either a very soft diet or a “no chew” diet for 3 days after dental appointment.
- Massage the jaw muscles the day of and the day after the procedure.